Some may say the trip of a life time! To retire from work for 2 years and travel the globe. Sounds very tough - NOT! Let us take you through our journey beginning with the Trans Mongoligan Railway from St. Petersburg to Bejing, China, South East Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia), Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and South America, including Antarctica and the Galapagos! When will it end you may ask? Well that's when the money runs out, so lets wait and see.

11 September 2005

The Most Dangerous Road in the World!!

Just riden mountain bikes down the most dangerous road in the world! Starting above La Paz in Bolivia, at 4760mtrs, we rode 64kms to 1100mtrs (3650 descent). The road was dirt, bumpy, and narrow. The drops off the side at times was 1000mtrs, so I was greatful for the mist. It was pretty nerve racking, and it took loads of concentration! Ian loved it and spent his time up the front. I was down the back with a couple of slow girls. Surprisingly I was better when it started raining and there was mud everywhere, flicking up into my eyes and mouth. Last time I was on a mountain bike my arse was sore within 5 minutes! We both paid extra for double suspension, and I now feel really good, without hardly only pain. It´s called the most dangerous road because each year many buses with loads of passengers, and trucks do actually go off the side of the mountain. Along the track there were actually some volunteers (relatives of those who have died), assisting traffic, and alerting you to a vehicle coming the other way. There are passing points all the way along the road. As mad as it sounds, so many travellers highlight this experience as one of their best in Bolivia! It was good. I think I was alittle anxious though to say it was ´great´ for me. I asked Ian to describe it from his point of view in three words, and he said - fun, fast and exciting!!

1 Comments:

Blogger venitha said...

Glad to see Ian's back isn't slowing you two down! Sounds like lots of fun. I did a bike tour in Vermont several years ago, and the rain wasn't bad at all. Once you were wet, you were wet; no big deal.

15 September, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home